October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month and is intended to remind everyone to be vigilant and safeguard their networks and the information passed over their networks. APCO has put out a white paper to provide information for public safety communications professionals on the ongoing threats to their networks and recommends ways to prevent, mitigate, […]
National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2014: Guidance for Public Safety Communications Professionals
APCO Commends FCC Public Safety Bureau Report and Recommendations on Significant Multistate 9-1-1 Outage
APCO President John Wright applauded the Bureau’s work, stating “the Bureau performed a commendable job in its careful review and attention to investigating the scope and causes of this outage, and APCO agrees that lapses like this need to be avoided at all costs.”
APCO Announces Approval of Best Practices for the Use of Social Media in Public Safety Communications
The standard provides a foundation for agencies to develop specific operational procedures and guidance for the use of social media in public safety answering points.
The public safety community suffered a great loss on Monday, October 13, 2014 when William “Bill” McCammon died unexpectedly during his sleep at the age of 61. McCammon was best known to APCO members through his work on D-Block and FirstNet.
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International has received a Grant Award from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Science and Technology Directorate for the implementation of Project 25 (P25) & Computer Assisted Pre-Coordination Resource & Database System (CAPRAD) Restructuring. Grant support is being phased in with an initial award of $250,000 for […]
Interim Ebola Virus Disease Guidance for 9-1-1 PSAPs, EMS and Medical First Responders Now Available
Guidance for handling inquiries and responding to patients with suspected Ebola symptoms, and for keeping workers safe.
Some highlights in the revision include the addition of data elements to accommodate the introduction of a Message Broker, a standardized list of message status terminology, an expanded list of alarm event types, and the capture of an alarm service organization name.
- OPINION: Arrest of Woman Seems Like a Bad Call to a Florida Reporter June 14, 2012
- Dispatching: A Profession or a Job? October 27, 2010
- So You Want to be a Dispatcher … March 21, 2013
- FCC Says PSAPs Must Be Able to Receive 9-1-1 Texts November 23, 2010
- Naples City Council Bristle at Cost of New Radios; Suggest Officers Share June 29, 2011
- Alberta Health Services Adds Third Communication Center to Solacom System October 31, 2014
- November Issue of Public Safety Communications October 31, 2014
- Study Looks at How Oklahoma Pays for 9-1-1 Service, Effects of Cellphones October 30, 2014
- Minneapolis 9-1-1 Improvements in the Works October 30, 2014
- Weber Area 9-1-1 to Host a Spillman System for Multi-County Data Sharing October 30, 2014
- 11yearLEO: The officer was correct in stating the law however...
- Britney: I am sitting here in tears with a smile on my face...
- Lin D Ford: With sincere sympathy to the members of the SC Cha...
- Lin D Ford: With sincere sympathy to Mary and family and to me...
- Lin D Ford: With sincere sympathy to the family. May "Red" re...