The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International is seeking an individual for the position of Standards Program Manager. The APCO International’s Headquarters office is located in Daytona Beach, Florida with executive offices located in Alexandria, Virginia. The incumbent may reside in either location or an option to work remotely will be considered.
APCO International is the world’s oldest and largest organization of public safety communications professionals and supports the largest U.S. membership base of any public safety association. It serves the needs of public safety communications practitioners worldwide – and the welfare of the general public as a whole – by providing complete expertise, professional development, technical assistance, advocacy and outreach.
The incumbent will oversee APCO International Standards Projects and Development as assigned and serve as liaison to APCO International Committees, Taskforces, Workgroups, etc. Primary staff liaison to Standards Development Committee and associated subcommittes and work groups. Serves as knowledge expert on general and complex areas related to standards development. The incumbent will also provide liaison, updates and manages web master contacts for assigned committee, projects and task force websites. Understands and solves problems as appropriate on issues identified by members as important to them. Support committee projects, task forces to respond to member inquiries, post information on website and assist association members. May be assigned responsibility of representing APCO when dealing with other associations and organizations.
The incumbent will be tasked to:
- Provide focused and purposeful leadership related to APCO International Standards Development work
- Provides quality customer service in all aspects of the standards portfolio including to association members, committees, subcommittees, external organizations and customers
- Accepts responsibility and is accountable for the standards management portfolio
- Has a basic understanding or the ability to learn the concepts of 9-1-1 and PSAP operations
- Represents APCO International and the Communications Center and 9-1-1 Services Department at industry trade shows and conferences, including booth attendance and development/delivery of presentations as needed
- Serve as Staff Liaison for APCO International Standards Development efforts
- Complete special projects as directed by the Communications Center and 9-1-1 Services Director
- Participate as part of a team to develop standards related training packages
- Travel in connection with the portfolio to include overnight meetings and conferences
The successful candidate will need:
- Ability to learn Emerging technologies impacting public safety comunications
- Appreciable knowledge of standards and standards development
- Strong knowledge of developmental tools for preparation of required reports, forms and other electronic communications
- Appreciable knowledge of Kavi, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Knowledge of available resource material and use in performing job duties
- Ability to quickly understand APCO
- Knowledge of member support systems
- Knowledge of Regulatory Principals
- Fundamental understanding of American National Standards Institute organization, procedures and policies
- Effectively interface with committee membership, APCO elected leadership and APCO Senior Staff. Provide appropriate guidance to all stakeholders
- Ability to set clear and obtainable goals and objectives and the ability to establish effective follow-up mechanisms to measure achievement of established goals and objectives
Minimum requirements include:
- Baccalaureate degree in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted
- Basic knowledge of public safety communications and demonstrable experience in project management and standards work will be considered as key factors to meet minimum requirements
- Minimum five years related management experience
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to travel by vehicle or air as required
APCO International offers a competitive salary supplemented by a comprehensive benefit program including a 401K plan. Salary range is $60k – $70k dependent on experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace